Evolutions of Individuals Use of Lyon's Bike Sharing System - Archive ouverte HAL Access content directly
Preprints, Working Papers, ... Year : 2019

Evolutions of Individuals Use of Lyon's Bike Sharing System

Patrice Abry
Pierre Borgnat
Marie Vogel
  • Function : Author
  • PersonId : 898480
Pablo Jensen


Bike sharing systems (BSS) have been growing fast all over the world, along with the number of articles analyzing such systems. However the lack of temporally large trip databases has limited the analysis of BSS users behavior in the long term. This article studies the V'elo'v - a BSS located in Lyon, France - subscribers commitment in the long term and the evolution of their usage over time. Using a 5-year dataset covering 121,000 long-term distinct users, we show the heterogeneous individual trajectories masked by the overall system stability. Users follow two main trajectories: about 60% remain in the system for at most one year, showing a low median activity (47 trips); the remaining 40% correspond to more active users (median activity of 96 trips in their first year) that remain continuously active for several years (mean time = 2.9 years). This latter class exhibits a relatively stable activity, decreasing slightly over the years. We show that middle-aged, male and urban users are over represented among the 'stable' users.

Dates and versions

hal-02123929 , version 1 (09-05-2019)



Jordan Cambe, Patrice Abry, Julien Barnier, Pierre Borgnat, Marie Vogel, et al.. Evolutions of Individuals Use of Lyon's Bike Sharing System. 2019. ⟨hal-02123929⟩
97 View
0 Download



Gmail Mastodon Facebook X LinkedIn More