The Weight of Health Expenditure in Household Income in Cameroon - Archive ouverte HAL Access content directly
Conference Papers Year : 2013

The Weight of Health Expenditure in Household Income in Cameroon

Abstract

African leaders pledged at the Abuja conference in 2001, to mobilize more financial resources to allocate at least 15% of their national budgets to the health sector to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), seem to have difficulty meeting this commitment because of weakness and fragmentation of health systems. These commitments were renewed in Gaborone, Botswana in 2005 and in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso in 2006. Indeed, donor funding is still a large part of public health spending on the continent. In some countries, 50% or more of their budgets come from foreign or private assistance. In about half the countries, the private health financing is equal to or exceeds largely public funding, up to 70% in some states like Sudan, Côte d'Ivoire, Cameroon, Chad, Liberia and Uganda. Only five countries (Rwanda, Malawi, Zambia, Burkina Faso, and Togo) have so far respected the promise made to the Abuja conference. In Cameroon, where 51% of the population lives on less than two dollars per day, the average propensity of the total medical consumption is very high. Indeed, 32% of households spend less than half of income on health, while 16% of households spend more than half of the income and 52% spend more than the total income. This corresponds to a weight of 68% in health care spending.
Les dirigeants africains qui se sont engagés lors de la conférence d'Abuja en 2001, à mobiliser plus de ressources financières pour allouer au moins 15% de leurs budgets nationaux au secteur de la santé pour la réalisation des OMDs, semblent avoir du mal à respecter cet engagement du fait des faiblesses et des fragmentations de leurs systèmes de santé. Ces engagements ont été renouvelés à Gaborone au Botswana en 2005 puis à Ouagadougou au Burkina Faso en 2006. En effet, le financement des bailleurs représente encore aujourd'hui une grande part des dépenses en santé publique du continent. Dans certains pays, 50% ou plus de leurs budgets viennent de l'aide étrangère ou privée. Dans près de la moitié des pays, le financement privé de la santé est égal ou dépasse très largement le financement public, allant jusqu'à 70% dans certains États comme le Soudan, la Côte d'Ivoire, le Cameroun, le Tchad, le Libéria ou l'Ouganda. Seuls cinq pays (Rwanda, Malawi, Zambie, Burkina Faso, Togo) ont pour le moment respecté la promesse faite à la conférence d'Abuja. Au Cameroun, où 51% de la population vit avec moins de deux dollars par jour, la propension moyenne de la consommation médicale totale des ménages est très élevée. En effet, 32% des ménages dépensent moins de la moitié du revenu à la santé tandis que 16 % des ménages dépensent plus de la moitié du revenu et 52 % dépensent plus de la totalité du revenu. Ce qui correspond à un poids de 68% en dépenses de santé.
Fichier principal
Vignette du fichier
The_Weight_of_Health_Expenditures_on_Household_Income_in_Cameroon.pdf (1.86 Mo) Télécharger le fichier
Origin Files produced by the author(s)
Loading...

Dates and versions

hal-00924432 , version 1 (06-01-2014)

Identifiers

  • HAL Id : hal-00924432 , version 1

Cite

Joseph Parfait Owoundi. The Weight of Health Expenditure in Household Income in Cameroon. XXVII IUSSP International Population Conference, Aug 2013, Busan, South Korea. ⟨hal-00924432⟩
315 View
809 Download

Share

Gmail Mastodon Facebook X LinkedIn More